Have time off work? Some events regionally
By From staff reports
Published in News on July 2, 2012 1:46 PM
* Independence Eve performance by Applause! Cary Youth Theatre touring troupe at Sertoma Amphitheatre July 3 at 6:30 p.m. and Cary Town Band at 7:30 p.m.
* Independence Day activities July 4 at Bond Park starting at 8:30 a.m., featuring a fishing tournament, parade in the park and several family contests such as doughnut eating, lakeside Olympics, watermelon eating, sunflower seed spitting, water balloon toss and sidewalk decorating.
* Koka Booth Amphitheatre will have patriotic performances July 4 from 3 to 10 p.m. by Cary Town Band and the North Carolina Symphony, which will also feature kids activities, a frozen T-Shirt contest, model boat regatta, watermelon eating contest, a magician, face painting and an ice cream eating contest. Information: 919-469-4061.
* Union Point Park will have activities such as music by the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing Band, a theatrical performance at 11 a.m., kids activities, food, music, crafts and an inflatable park July 4. Fireworks over the Neuse River will be at 9:15 p.m.
* Tyron Palace will have a Glorious Fourth event July 4 with a fife and drum performance and reading of the Declaration of Independence at 11 a.m., special activities from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. including a gathering of local militia, musket and canon firing demonstrations, 18th-century music and dancing, townball games and historic kids crafts. Information: 800-767-1560.
* Opening ceremony July 4 at 5 p.m. at City Park, sack race at 5:15 p.m., Havelock High School band at 5:30 p.m., egg relay race at 6:30 p.m., Havelock Community Band at 6:45 p.m., pie eating contest at 8 p.m. and fireworks at 8:45 p.m. Information: 252-444-6400.
* 29th annual Freedom Festival July 4 at Onslow Pines Park, featuring games, rides and vendor booths at 3 p.m. and a patriotic fireworks display at 9 p.m. There will be live entertainment on two stages featuring Galon Pope and SweetWater and Flatbed Dixie Band at 5 p.m. Information: 910-347-5332.
* 16th annual Battleship Blast July 4 at 9:05 p.m. featuring fireworks. Information: 910-251-5797.
* Fourth of July Riverfront Celebration July 4 with a street fair from 5 to 9 p.m. and fireworks at 9:05 p.m. There will be music by L Shape Lot in Riverfront Park.
* 4th of July parade July 4 at 11 a.m. along the waterfront with pets, wagons, flags and kids. There will be free ice cream. Information: 252-728-3917.
* Fireworks extravaganza at The Boathouse at Front Street Village July 4 with hot dogs, drinks, games at 6 p.m. and fireworks at 9 p.m. Information: 252-838-1524.
* July 4 celebration July 4 with live music by The Main Event Band from 7 to 11 p.m. at Jaycee Park on the Morehead City waterfront and fireworks to be launched from Sugarloaf Island across from the park at 9 p.m. Information: 252-726-5083.
* Fireworks July 4 at 9 p.m. off Bogue Inlet Pier. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Old-Fashioned Fourth July 4 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with a patriotic concert and picnic, musical performances, food and historical re-enactors. Admission is free. Information: 919-733-4994.
* The Works: July 4th on Fayetteville Street July 4 from noon to 10 p.m. featuring food and drinks, bounce houses, eating contests, bands at 4 p.m. and fireworks at 9:30 p.m. Information: www.raleighconvention.com/works/.
* Fourth of July Festival July 4. A film crew will film the festivities, where the crowd will provide backdrop for the upcoming movie "Safe Haven." The casting company will also be looking for extras for scenes. There will be arts, crafts, a parade, a 5K run, food, entertainment, children's games, a naturalization ceremony and more. Information: 910-457-5578.