Log in

Sign up

July 3, 2012 archives

View Archive

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Man charged in infant's death

A Dudley man has been charged with murder in connection with the death of his 4-month old baby. Brendan Jamarin Pemberton, of 115 Rhodes Drive, was charged after his son, Jaylin, was found unresponsive at the family's home May...

Teens facing murder charge

Goldsboro police arrested two teenagers Monday in connection with the murder of Kevin Bell, a 34-year-old who was shot to death June 14 in front of his Slaughter Street home. Stephon Deandre Jennings, 18, of 621 Isler St., and Javonta...

Robbery ends in shooting

A brave customer prevented an armed robbery at a convenience store on Grantham Street early today. Just after 3 a.m., an unidentified black man entered the Kangaroo Express at 901 W. Grantham St. and reached behind the counter, according to...

Mayberry in mourning: Actor Andy Griffith dies

MANTEO -- Actor Andy Griffith, an iconic figure in North Carolina, died early today at the age of 86. News reports quoted William Friday, former president of the University of North Carolina and close friend, as saying that Griffith died...

One-stop voting continues through July 14

The first two days of one-stop early voting last week attracted 157 voters -- 98 on Thursday and 59 on Friday -- in advance of the July 17 second primary. The primary will serve as Goldsboro's general election, and...

Homes for foreign students needed

The Terra Lingua/Terra des Langues student exchange program is seeking homes for five students. Professor Frederic Fladenmuller of East Carolina University said the students are two boys from France, two girls from France and a girl from Spain. The Spanish...

Experts: Fireworks are dangerous

As Goldsboro residents get ready to light up their grills and celebrate the Fourth of July, experts are reminding residents to be careful with fireworks. The trouble with fireworks is that people often don't realize how dangerous -- and...

Public record

Suspicious fire At 2:35 a.m. Saturday morning Kenneth Wooten, 815 1/2 E. Walnut St, called 911 to report a fire in a neighboring apartment. Mr. Wooten was awakened minutes earlier by the smell of smoke and witnessed flames in the...