Commissioners to weigh some development queries
By Steve Herring
Published in News on September 17, 2012 1:46 PM
In some respects, the agenda for Tuesday's meeting of the Wayne County commissioners looks like it could just as easily be one for the county's Planning Board.
The agenda has five subdivision plats, rezoning and a special use request to be considered by commissioners when they meet at 9 a.m. The session will get under way with an 8 a.m. agenda briefing in the commissioners' meeting room on the fourth floor of the county courthouse annex.
Commissioners will sit as the board of adjustment at the end of the session to hear a request from Danny Bryant for a special use permit.
It will be the second time this month the board has considered Bryant's request to open a day care center at 103 and 105 Dell Drive in Dudley.
At a public hearing earlier this month, George Sutton, whose property adjoins the site, said he opposed the request. Sutton said he was concerned about noise and traffic the center would create.
He told the board he had been out of town when the issue first went to the Planning Board, which has recommended approval.
Commissioners sent the request back to the Planning Board so Sutton could comment.
Sutton spoke at the Planning Board's meeting last week.
The Planning Board again recommended the request, but this time with the stipulation that a solid wood fence be built to serve as a buffer between the day care and Sutton's property.
The board also is expected to schedule a Board of Adjustment meeting for Oct. 16 to consider a special use permit for a bingo business on U.S. 13 South at Grantham.
Commissioners also held a public hearing earlier in the month on a rezoning request by Sandra Thompson, but took no action at the meeting.
Ms. Thompson has asked that the property at 309 Potts Road, Dudley, be rezoned from Residential 10 to Community Shopping.
She wants to rent a vacant store building on the lot to be used as a thrift store by a nonprofit organization.
Commissioners have five subdivision plats to consider:
* US Cellular Corp., owner/developer Dave R. Lane, one lot on the east side of Arrington Bridge Road, approximately .15 mile south of Sleepy Creek Road
* Margaret H. Grady heirs, final, owner/developer Dayle Grady, executor, nine lots on both sides of South NC 111 at its intersection with Ditch Bank Road
* D. McKinley Price, final, owner/developer D. McKinley Price, three lots on the east side of Friendly Drive at its intersection with Old Smithfield Road
* Grand Oaks Phase One, final, owner/developer Grand Oaks of Wayne County, LLC, 30 lots on the east side of Overman Road approximately one mile south of Old Grantham Road
* East Lake Subdivision, Section I, final, owner/developer, J&N Developers, LLC, 19 lots on the east side of Dollard Town Road approximately 900 feet north of St. John's Church Road.
In other business the board will:
* Consider a request from Services on Aging to make the new Senior Center a tobacco-free facility, but with one outside area designated for tobacco use
* Hear a presentation from the N.C. Department of Commerce Division of Workforce Solutions concerning changes that took place when the Employment Security Commission merged with the department
* Consider proclamations for Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month; Constitution Week; the Big Sweep; and Senior Center Month.
The public comments section will start at 10 a.m.