Cornerstone Award nominations now being taken
By From staff reports
Published in News on November 21, 2012 1:46 PM
Nominations are now being accepted for the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce Cornerstone Award.
The award, which was created in 1996, recognizes annually an individual, living or deceased, who has been a cornerstone for Wayne County.
In a written release about the award, the Chamber notes that the dictionary defines a cornerstone as a fundamental building block on which the foundation of something rests. For the award then, Chamber officials are looking for people who have given their time and dedicated their lives to make Wayne County a better place to live, work and raise a family.
The criteria are:
* Long-term continuous service and dedication to the citizens of Wayne County.
* The recipient has made a significant impact on the overall betterment to the area.
* Considered part of the foundation of the area.
* The recipient's accomplishments may be in business, education, government etc.
* The award recipient may be an individual or a couple. If a couple has performed outstanding services together, each may be awarded a plaque.
* The recipient's accomplishments may or may not be connected with Chamber of Commerce programs, nor does the recipient have to be a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
The nomination form and detailed criteria for the award can be picked up at the Wayne County Chamber offices at 308 N. William St. or downloaded from the Chamber's website at www.waynecountychamber.com under the News & Updates tab.
The Cornerstone Award will be presented at the Wayne County Chamber's Annual Banquet on Jan. 15, 2013. The award recipient's name would also be placed on a plaque and inserted into the ground at the Cornerstone Commons in Downtown Goldsboro.
Return completed nomination form by Thursday, Dec. 13. Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed to Wayne County Chamber of Commerce, Attention: Cornerstone, PO Box 1107, Goldsboro, NC 27533, delivered to the Wayne County Chamber located at 308 N. William St., or faxed to 919-734-2247. For more information about the Cornerstone Award or the Annual Banquet call the Chamber at 919-734-2241.
Past recipients are: Richard B. Moffatt, Hal Tanner Sr., Clarence "Icky" Peacock, William Dees Jr., Hal Plonk, Bertha Shepherd Wooten, Ollie Toomey, Troy Pate Jr., Jimmie Edmundson, William P. Kemp Jr., Dr. Edward Wilson, David Weil, William H. Bryan, Wes Seegars, William Winslow and Ed Borden.