Perdue: No press allowed at base
By Kenneth Fine
Published in News on December 14, 2012 1:46 PM
A visit to Seymour Johnson Air Force Base by Gov. Bev Perdue and Gov.-elect Pat McCrory that is believed to present an opportunity for base officials and local military advocates to brief the state's incoming leader on issues facing the installation is closed to members of the press.
Perdue has requested that the Air Force not allow a media presence during her stint in Goldsboro today -- a trip some local leaders said they have known about for several weeks.
Military Affairs Committee Chairman Ben Seegers said that he and other members of the MAC have been asked to present information on the contentious Pantego wind farm project and encroachment while the state's current and soon-to-be leaders are in town.
But his understanding, he added, is that "the purpose of the trip is more about continuity" as the transition from the Perdue administration to McCrory's continues.
"They are both very interested in the continued success and growth of the military, so I think we're in a good spot," Seegers said earlier this week. "They know that we can't afford to drop the ball on any of the needs of the military in North Carolina."
Repeated calls to Perdue's office and McCrory's camp regarding just why they are not allowing the press to cover their stint on Seymour Johnson have gone, as of press time, unanswered.