With holidays nearing their apex, remember basic fire safety
By From staff reports
Published in News on December 14, 2012 1:46 PM
The Goldsboro Fire Department has some easy-to-follow tips that can bring fire safety to the forefront this holiday season.
* As you buy batteries for all your new games, get some for your smoke detectors, too, and then test them. There should be at least one on every level of your home.
* When preparing those feasts at family gatherings, remember to stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food.
* Keep chimneys and fire places cleaned and swept.
* Give a three-foot radius around space heaters.
* Do not fall asleep with candles still burning.
* Do not place lit candles on or near the tree. Electric candles can look, smell and provide more light just as well as their wax counterparts.
* Maintain holiday lights. Use indoor lights indoors, and outdoor lights outdoors.
* Check for frayed wires, burnt out bulbs, cracked sockets, and only buy items with the UL symbol.
* Do not place the tree near a fire place or wood-burning stove.
* Do not keep a live tree up for more than two-weeks. Water it regularly. And dispose of it properly by taking it to a recycling center or having it picked up according to your sanitation provider's instructions.
Remember these tips and stay alert, and your holiday season will be memorable for all the right reasons.