County makes mobile homes change
By Steve Herring
Published in News on January 23, 2013 1:46 PM
Owners of mobile homes that are 15 years old or older can now start moving the homes into Wayne County.
Wayne County commissioners unanimously approved an amendment to the county's mobile home ordinance Tuesday eliminating a ban on mobile homes that are 15 years or older.
It was the second time the amendment was approved.
The first was by a 6-0 vote at the board's Jan. 8 meeting. The second vote was required because there was not a full board for the first one. One seat had been left open following the death of J.D. Evans. Ed Cromartie of Mount Olive has since been appointed by commissioners to fill the seat.
Commissioner Joe Daughtery made the motion to approve rewording the ordinance to read that all manufactured or mobile homes being set up in the county "must bear a HUD data plate stating the home was constructed under regulations of HUD as of July 1, 1976."
Just prior to the vote, Commissioner John Bell asked Daughtery if he (Daughtery) had a conflict of interest since he sells mobile homes.
There is not, Daughtery said.
Daughtery said that while he sells manufactured and mobile homes, he has not sold a used mobile home in more than 20 years.
Commissioner Wayne Aycock said he owns a small mobile home park and asked County Attorney Borden Parker if that created a conflict.
Parker said that it did not.
The Wayne County Mobile Home Park Developers Association has been after the board to remove the ban since last summer and to be replaced with current federal Housing and Urban Development standards.
However, no mobile homes manufactured prior to July 1, 1976, will be permitted. Also, a mobile home must have all of the parts it had when it was first built and inspected. For example, if a certain year required that the mobile home have smoke alarms, it must still have them in order to be approved.