The Wall That Heals: Events of note
By From staff reports
Published in News on April 14, 2013 1:50 AM
• Tuesday, 3 p.m. -- The Wall That Heals will arrive at Wayne Community College. Local residents who wish to welcome the procession to Goldsboro are asked to line Wayne Memorial Drive, between Starbucks and WCC, by 2:45.
• Tuesday, 7 p.m. -- Retired Air Force Col. John Stiles will share his Vietnam experience with the audience at WCC's Moffatt Auditorium. Stiles' F-4 was shot down and he evaded enemy capture. (Event sponsored by the Wayne Community College Foundation as part of the Foundation's 2013 program.)
• Wednesday -- The replica will be assembled by staff and volunteers on one of the college greens.
• Thursday, 10 a.m. -- An opening ceremony will be held at the site before the memorial is opened to the public. Retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Dan Cherry will deliver the keynote remarks.
• Thursday, 7 p.m. -- Cherry and Stiles will share a unique Vietnam experience about how they both came to know the same enemy pilot, then-Lt. Nguyen Hong My. Audiences can hear their recollections at WCC's Moffatt Auditorium. (Event sponsored by the Wayne Community College Foundation as part of the Foundation's 2013 program.)
• Friday, 6 p.m. -- A "Roll Call" ceremony, at which the names of the 145 men from Wayne and surrounding counties who died in Vietnam will be read aloud, will be held at the memorial. Retired Army Col. and Medal of Honor recipient Joe Marm will deliver the keynote remarks.
• Saturday -- The wall will be open to the public.
• Sunday, 4 p.m. -- A closing ceremony and a POW/MIA remembrance will be held at the memorial. 4th Fighter Wing Operations Group Commander Col. Michael Koscheski will deliver the keynote remarks.