Waste will be taken at landfill
By From staff reports
Published in News on May 13, 2013 1:46 PM
DUDLEY -- Saturday will be Hazardous Waste Collection Day at the Wayne County Landfill, 460-B S. Landfill Road, Dudley.
Household hazardous waste may be brought to the landfill on that day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The service is free to Wayne County residents.
Household hazardous wastes include materials that are:
* Corrosive: Like oven cleaners, bleach, and other products that can cause skin burns
* Reactive: Like chlorine, lye, some laboratory chemicals and other products that can explode or give off gases
* Toxic: Like pesticides, herbicides, antifreeze and other poisonous materials that can kill or cause illness
Wayne County Solid Waste Department officials offer the following suggestions for preparing/transporting wastes:
* Leave materials in their original containers
* Never mix materials
* Wrap bottles with newspaper for padding
* Bring the items to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility, located at the Wayne County Landfill (Dudley Convenience Center)
* At the landfill, people will be directed to the collection area. An attendant will ask about the chemicals and will remove them from the vehicle. People are asked to remain inside their vehicle to allow for quicker processing.
For more information, call the Solid Waste Department at 919-689-2994.