07/07/13 — Four safe after blaze damages their home

View Archive

Four safe after blaze damages their home

By John Joyce
Published in News on July 7, 2013 1:50 AM

A grandmother and her three grandchildren lost their home Friday when a fire broke out at a residence on Wayne Avenue just after 11:30 a.m.

Laura Shamble, of 220 Wayne Ave., was able to guide her grandchildren to safety. A neighbor called 911.

The interior of the one-story brick building was consumed.

Capt. Carlton Parks of the Goldsboro Fire Department said the fire was knocked down by 11:55.

"An electrical air conditioner appeared to be the (cause)," Parks said.

The total value of the house and property was reported at $44,000, with an estimated loss of $15,000.

Firefighters continued to cycle in and out of the burned residence, ventilating the structure and putting water on hot spots.

Crews emerging from the house shed their equipment and took a knee in the shade to take water and to cool down. None were injured but precautions were taken to make sure no one overheated.

Goldsboro Fire Department's Engines 1, 2, and 4 responded along with Ladder 1 and Wayne County EMS.

Fire Chief Gary Whaley said the Red Cross was called to assist the family.