Fire finishes mobile home destruction
By John Joyce
Published in News on August 6, 2013 1:46 PM
A vacant mobile home at 117 Hines Road, Lot 28, was fully consumed by fire Monday afternoon.
The fire began as a crew of workers was using tools to strip the trailer for scrap metal, next-door neighbor Luther Nick, lot 29, said.
He and other neighbors were evacuated by the Goldsboro Fire Department as firefighters poured water on the blaze. The high pressured streams helped to knock down the walls of what was left of the trailer to extinguish the flames.
Firefighters then used hand-held tools and equipment to spread out the debris and cool down the smoldering remnants of the fallen structure.
Cindy Dupuy, park manager, said that the trailer was vacant and that none of the workers were injured in the blaze.
Kenny Fallin, the trailer park owner, said he wasn't sure if the loss would be covered by insurance but he was thankful no one was injured in the blaze, the first one the park has seen in just under a decade.
"There was one a couple of years ago that burned down on the other end. That was about seven years ago," Fallin said.
Assistant Fire Chief Frank Sasser said that he did not yet have an estimate on the total cost of the damage, which would have to include the two neighboring trailers affected by the heat and smoke.
Lot 28 was a total loss.