Police arrest 13 more in sting
By John Joyce
Published in News on September 20, 2013 1:46 PM
A series of joint operations targeting prostitution in the city has concluded, with 13 more people in custody, Goldsboro Police Department officials said this morning.
Undercover operations resulted in 21 total arrests for soliciting prostitution and other crimes. Bonds ranged from $1,000 to $5,000 secured.
"These were all complaint-driven," said Maj. Alton King of the Goldsboro Police Department Investigation Division.
"A number of complaints came in, and our Support Services Division initiated undercover operations in a number of different stages, and this is the result," King said.
He did not specify how many operations were conducted, but said the stages numbered more than two.
Other divisions within the department contributed to the arrests, including the Selective Enforcement Unit and the VICE squad.
In a July 23 raid, the Mount Olive Police Department lent officers to the mission and, through a series of undercover stings, recorded eight arrests.
"These operations will continue as long as the activity exists," King said.
The prostitutes are not contained to any one area of the city, he said, and do not seem to be part of any intricate network.
When asked if the women were independent operators, King answered there was "nothing to indicate any different."
The police do not expect to wipe out prostitution altogether, but will act to curtail the activity anytime it is brought to their attention.
If anyone sees or suspects this type of activity is going on in their area, King asks that they call the Goldsboro Police Department at 919-705-6572. Callers whom wish to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 919-735-2255 or text tips to 919-222-4230.
The newest arrests are as follows:
* Kristy Howell Mergil, 37, soliciting prostitution.
* Amy Moore, 33, soliciting prostitution.
* Cynthia Anette Lee, 47, soliciting prostitution.
* Jeane Suttle, 39, soliciting prostitution.
* Melissa Pollock, 43, soliciting prostitution.
* Kathryn Miller, 23, soliciting prostitution.
* Donna Edwards Cox, 53, soliciting prostitution.
* Branden Pettiway, 29, crimes against nature, soliciting prostitution.
* Monquitta Kees, 42, soliciting prostitution, possession of drug paraphernalia.
* Felicia Williams, 40, soliciting prostitution.
* Chelsy D. Jackson, 22, soliciting prostitution.
* Lola Darden, 33, soliciting prostitution.
* Patricia Ann Jones, 39, soliciting prostitution.