Voters will head to polls Tuesday
By Staff Reports
Published in News on November 2, 2013 11:11 PM
Voters in most of Wayne County's municipalities and all of its sanitary districts will go to the polls on Tuesday to choose new governing boards.
Polls open at 6:30 a.m. and close at 7:30 p.m.
Municipal elections are being held in Mount Olive, Seven Springs, Pikeville, Walnut Creek and Eureka. The sanitary districts with seats up for election are Belfast-Patetown, Eastern Wayne, Fork Township, Southeastern Wayne and Southern Wayne.
Write-ins will fill two open board seats in Eureka and Seven Springs as well as the mayor's office.
In Mount Olive, at-large Commissioner Ray Thompson is facing a challenge from newcomer Sadie L. Raine.
District 1 Commissioner Kenny Talton has opposition from former commissioner Jesse Jack Faison, while District 4 Commissioner Gene Lee will face former board member Joe Scott.
District 2 Commissioner Hosea Manley is challenged by Jerry Armstrong Sr. who ran, but was not elected, in 2003.
Mayor Ray McDonald Sr. and District 3 Commissioner George Fulghum are running unopposed.
All of the terms are for two years.
In Pikeville, Town Commissioner Todd Anderson filed for the mayoral seat now held by Johnny Weaver, who is not seeking seek re-election.
Three people filed for the two board seats including incumbent Commissioner Ward Kellum, who has since withdrawn from the race. His name has been removed from the ballot.
Also filing were Garrett Johnston and Eric Snoddy.
The terms are for four years.
Steven D. "Pete" Benton and Mike Day filed for two open seats on the Walnut Creek Village Council. Incumbent Danny Jackson is running to complete the unexpired term he was appointed to.
The mayor, currently Darrell Horne, is selected by the council.
The terms are for four years.
Candidates for four-year terms on the sanitary water district boards are:
* Belfast-Patetown (five seats): Dawn Anderson of Pikeville; Joe A. Brown (incumbent) of Fremont; Ben Casey (incumbent) of Goldsboro; Landis H. Davis (incumbent) of Stantonsburg; Janice Grant of Goldsboro; Fred J. Newcomb (incumbent) of Goldsboro; and Ray Sullivan (incumbent) of Goldsboro
* Eastern Wayne (five seats): Daryl Anderson (incumbent) of LaGrange; Richard "Ricky" Carraway of LaGrange; Pattie Price Daly of Goldsboro; Linda Harper of Goldsboro; Carl Mozingo (incumbent) of LaGrange; Jonathan Carl Mozingo of Goldsboro; Glenwood Spence of LaGrange; James Allen Sutton Jr. (incumbent) of LaGrange; and Erwin Watts of Goldsboro
* Fork Township (three seats): Henry Braswell (incumbent) of Goldsboro; Tim Gardner of Goldsboro; Marsha Green of Goldsboro; Joseph Lee Hackett of Goldsboro; Danny F. Hope of Goldsboro; and Justin Revels of Goldsboro
* Southeastern Wayne (five seats): Jim Barnwell of Dudley; Sam Casey (incumbent) of Dudley; Charlie M.B. Holloway (incumbent) of Mount Olive; Bobby Outlaw (incumbent) of Dudley; James Taylor (incumbent) of Dudley; and Albert Williams Jr. of Dudley
* Southern Wayne (two seats): Sally Rawls Bowles (incumbent) of Dudley; Danny Edwards of Goldsboro; Jesse Jernigan of Dudley; Charles McLendon of Dudley; and Gary Scott (incumbent) of Goldsboro.