Hearing set in child's death
By John Joyce
Published in News on December 2, 2013 1:46 PM
A man charged with beating his 4-month-old son to death will appear Wednesday in Wayne County Superior Court.
Brenden Pemberton, 22, faces a first-degree murder charge in connection with the death of Jaylin Maurice Pemberton in May 2012.
The hearing will be strictly administrative in nature, court officials said.
The trial is expected to start Feb. 10.
Any motions to be filed preceding the trial will be handled during the pre-trial hearing, authorities said.
The child was pronounced dead on May 31, 2012 at Wayne Memorial Hospital after being found unresponsive in the Pemberton's Rhodes Drive residence earlier that day.
Autopsy results later released by the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Raleigh established blunt force trauma to the head as the cause of death.
Wayne County Resident Superior Court Judge Arnold Jones, in an Oct. 1 bond hearing, reduced Pemberton's bond from $1 million to $750,000 but he has yet to post bail.