Looking for a Valentine's Day gift? Raise money to fight cancer, too.
By From staff reports
Published in News on January 26, 2014 1:50 AM
Relay for Life often focuses on celebrating more birthdays, but this Valentine's Day, several teams are offering opportunities for people to show their sweeties just how much they love them. Of course, all the efforts are fundraisers for Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society.
* Team 103 is doing Cupcakes for a Cure. Cupcakes will be delivered Valentine's Day. Flavors include sparkling champagne, tropical honeymoon, white chocolate lovers, dangerous chocolate lovers, chocolate strawberry, peanut butter cup and Boston cream pie. All are filled cupcakes with lots of icing on top. Cost is four for $10 or six $15. To order, call 919-580-8398
* Wayne County Farm Bureau Team 130 is selling cream pies for $10 each. Flavors include strawberry, cherry and cherry cordial. Order deadline is 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 7. Pies will be ready for pickup between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14. Order at either the Goldsboro location, 2305 N. William St., or the Mount Olive location at 1246 N. Breazeale Ave.
* The Flip Flop team is selling a variety of Valentine's Day themed items. Among them are wooden roses (singles, three or six in a sleeve, or three, six or 12 in a vase), stuffed animal arrangements with candy (small, medium or large), candy bouquets (small or large), candy bags/cups, Hello Kitty items and ribbon-shaped keychains. To order call 919-222-3606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other upcoming Relay for Life fundraisers, not necessarily related to Valentine's Day, are:
* "Walk a mile in my shoes," a juried art gala and auction with prizes awarded. Late registration is by Feb. 1, with submissions due Feb. 12. For entry rules, go to www.facebook.com/WalkAMileArt. For a registration form, email ALIOPhotography@yahoo.com or call 919-819-5223.
* Two UNC v. Duke basketball tickets are being raffled off by the Handy Mart/Pop team. The tickets are for the Feb. 12 game at 9 p.m. in Section 206/Row O. Raffle tickets are $5 each. Drawing will be Feb. 7. For information, call 919-658-6566, ext. 1125 or 1120.
* Crop for the Cure, a scrapbooking event, will be held at the O'Berry Center multipurpose building, 200 Old Smithfield Road. The event will be held on Friday, Feb. 28, from 6 p.m. to midnight, and on Saturday, March 1, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cost is $15 for Friday, $20 for Saturday or $30 for both days. Fee includes light meals and snacks, a table for cropping and access to various vendors. There also will be a raffle for a gift basket full of scrapbooking supplies. Space is limited. Register and pay by Friday, Feb. 14. Call 919-581-4012 or 919-581-4414.
* A chicken dinner fundraiser will be held on Wednesday, March 19, at the O'Berry Center multipurpose building from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cost is $6 a plate. Menu includes barbecue chicken, green beans, barbecue potatoes, roll and dessert. Call 919-581-4508 or 919-581-4012 for tickets by Friday, March 14. Delivery will be available for purchases of 10 or more plates.