02/18/14 — Child hears fire alarm, saves uncle

View Archive

Child hears fire alarm, saves uncle

By John Joyce
Published in News on February 18, 2014 1:46 PM

Full Size


Goldsboro firefighters were forced to knock out a window for ventilation while extinguishing a blaze at a home on South Taylor Street Monday.

A quick reaction by an 8-year-old boy potentially saved the life of a Goldsboro man when a fire broke out at a home on South Taylor Street just after 11 a.m. Monday.

Denerreo Nobles, of 1005 S. Taylor St., was awakened by his nephew, Jamari Nobles, when a smoke detector sounded inside the home at 11:01 a.m.

Nobles immediately called 911 and got the boy out of the house.

Goldsboro Fire Department's Engine 4 responded in less than four minutes.

"Engine 4 was first on scene. They went in and had the fire under control within 10 minutes," Assistant Chief James Farfour said.

Engines 1 and 3, and Ladder 1 also responded, as did an engine from El-Roy Volunteer Fire Department.

The fire started in a bedroom inside the residence, Farfour said.

A power strip covered by clothing generated enough heat to ignite, causing the fire to start, according to the report.

The boy, who had been in the living room eating cereal and watching television, heard the smoke detector and "took the proper action," the report said.

He and Nobles left the residence through a rear exit.

Farfour stressed the importance of having working smoke detectors in the home.

"We're coming up on the time change, March 9. That is a perfect time to check and replace smoke detector batteries," he said. "A $3 investment in batteries twice a year can save a life. This fire is a perfect example."

It is also important to teach children how to respond to a smoke alarm, to have an exit strategy and to practice evacuating the home in the event of a fire, Farfour said.

"The child just happened to be out of school because of the holiday. Otherwise, who knows," he said.