Driver escapes fire that destroyed car
By John Joyce
Published in News on June 24, 2014 1:46 PM
A 19-year-old driver reacted quickly when his 2002 Chevrolet Camaro abruptly shut off while he was driving along N.C. Highway 581 N. Monday. Moments later the car burst into flames.
Will Garner, of Goldsboro, pulled into the parking lot of Steve's Bar and Grill, located at 1820 N.C. 581 N., at 9:30 a.m.
"I was just driving and the battery cut off. I put it in neutral and coasted into the parking lot here," Garner said.
He didn't see smoke until he got out of the car and he didn't see flames until he opened the hood.
"It went up pretty fast. I'd say the flames were as high as 8 feet tall," he said. Little River and Nahunta volunteer fire departments responded and doused the flames.
They then sprayed the entire vehicle with Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) to smother any hot spots and prevent the fire from restarting. Garner was unharmed. The car was estimated to be a total loss.