Fremont reports crime is down
By Ethan Smith
Published in News on August 20, 2014 1:46 PM
FREMONT -- Fremont citizens can rest a little easier after police Chief P.E. Moats told the town Board of Alderman on Tuesday that crime is down in the town.
Moats said that the police department has taken 161 fewer reports so far this year than it had at this same time last year, which he said reflects an increased police presence in the community.
"That number is a lot better than what it was when I came here in 2011," Moats said.
During his presentation, Moats said there has only been three breaking and enterings since January, and two of them, which occurred at Double D's Bar and Grill and Aggie's restaurant, have been solved.
"We solved the one at Double D's in the same day it was reported," he said. "And with the Aggie's case, the officer rolled up on the guy as he was breaking the window and arrested him and resolved the case within just a few hours."
Other break-ins were minor family domestic disputes, which he said the police department does not count as a breaking and entering crime.
"When I see your guys around town they always give me a smile and a wave," Mayor Darron Flowers said to Moats. "And let me tell you, a smile goes a long way."
The town's 11 p.m. curfew still stands, Moats reminded the board.
"It's been an ordinance for years that is used to control illegal activity," Moats said. "We mainly watch for juveniles and enforce it on people under 18. If we catch them out, we'll talk to them, but will by no means force them to go home, and will process and interview with them if necessary. There's no reason a kid under 18 should be out in Fremont after 11 o'clock at night."