Debutante pageant Jan. 28
By From staff reports
Published in News on January 10, 2017 10:03 AM
Standing, from left: Dominique Caldwell and Ahanya Black. Sitting: Makaila Colebrook, Semira Mitchell and Cassie Murray. Not pictured: Melanie Exum.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Epsilon Phi Omega Chapter of Goldsboro, will sponsor its 63rd annual Debutante Pageant on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m. at the Paramount Theatre.
The theme for the event is "Poised for Perfection." A special invitation is extended to all former debutantes and escorts.
The debutante pageant is a culmination of activities held to enrich the lives of young ladies who are sophomores, juniors or seniors in high school. This experience offers opportunities that will allow them to broaden their perspectives educationally, socially, and culturally. Additionally, the debutantes are offered an opportunity to generate funds for scholastic pursuits. Six lovely and accomplished young ladies will participate in this coming out event.
On the night of the pageant, each young lady will be formally introduced to society and Miss Debutante 2017 will be crowned and will reign until the next debutante pageant. Additional awards will include Miss Congeniality and Miss Scholarship. The Frances Tyler Volunteer Service Award will be presented to the young lady who best documents her community service.
The weeks of preparation were filled with activities such as: College Night, Personal Health and Etiquette Workshops, Slumber Party, community service activities including, a day of service at the Ronald McDonald House of Eastern North Carolina and a church fellowship.
"After 63 years, I'm glad that we are still able to provide this service to our community. With the cost of education rising significantly each year, being a resource to help young people to continue their education is a privilege for us. I am thankful to the community for their annual support," said Mary Kay James, the local chapter president.
The debutants are:
* Ahanya Black is a senior at Rosewood High School.She is the daughter of Mr. Jeffery and Mrs. Lynette White.
* Dominique Caldwell is a senior at Eastern Wayne High School. She is the daughter of Mr. William Caldwell and Ms. Melodee Jones.
* Makaila Colebrook is a sophomore at Eastern Wayne High School. She is the daughter of Mr. Mark Colebrook and Ms. Lisa Colebrook.
* Melanie Exum is a senior at Eastern Wayne High School. She is the daughter of Mr. William and Mrs. Sheila Exum.
* Semira Mitchell is a sophomore at Eastern Wayne High School. She is the daughter of Mr. Alando and Mrs. Myra Mitchell.
* Cassie Murray is a senior at Wayne Early/Middle College High School. She is the daughter of Mr. Gerald and Mrs. Beatrice Murray.