GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Wilmington Christian upends Faith Christian
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 9, 2017 9:57 AM
Abby Squires scored 22 points and snared eight rebounds as Wilmington Christian Academy turned back host Faith Christian, 62-44, during the school's 50th anniversary celebration Friday evening.
The triumph moved Wilmington to 5-12 overall and 2-2 in N.C. Christian Schools Association 2-A District 4 play.
From the outset, the affair was lopsided.
Wilmington Christian stormed out to an 18-9 first quarter advantage, stretched the lead to 15 at the break, and utilized its depth to finish matters in a buzzer-to-buzzer efficiency exercise.
Squires was complemented by sophomore guard Caroline Leggett, who finished with 19 points. Freshman livewire Lydia Bradshaw tallied 17 points, while Sydney Davenport finished with two points and 10 rebounds.
Faith Christian was paced by junior point guard Jordan Lawhon, who registered 19 points and seven boards. Chloe Mills scored 10 points, and was joined in the official scorebook by Emma Meador, whose evening included two triples and eight points.
Faith (6-3, 2-1) returns home next Friday against Wilson Christian Academy.
Other Local Sports
- COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Simmons' 40-point output paces Trojan women
- COLLEGE BASKETBALL: UMO men lose lead, fall to Lees-McRae
- GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Kinston defeats Goldsboro
- BOYS' BASKETBALL: Kinston, Goldsboro stage another classic
- BOYS' BASKETBALL: Princeton gets first league win of season
- WHITFIELD HALL OF FAME: 45th class has 'local' flavor
- GIRLS' BASKETBALL: BOX -- Rosewood @ Spring Creek
- GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Lane nails game-winning shot
- PREPS DIGEST: JV, middle school news
- BOYS' BASKETBALL: Box -- Rosewood @ Spring Creek