Mount Olive men ranked No. 2 In poll
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 21, 2004 2:00 PM
Mount Olive College's men's basketball team is ranked No. 2 in this week's NCAA Division II East Region Poll, the first regional poll of the season.
The regional ranking is the highest-ever for Mount Olive men's basketball.
Mount Olive is 11-2 overall and 5-1 in the Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference. The Trojans extended their winning streak to eight with a 73-56 victory over Belmont Abbey Monday and have not lost since their conference opener at Pfeiffer December 2.
Mount Olive is one of four CVAC teams ranked in the East Region top 10. Pfeiffer is ranked No. 1, while Queens is No. 8 and Barton is No. 9.
The East Region is comprised of teams in the CVAC, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) and the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WVIAC). The PSAC and WVIAC have three teams apiece ranked in the regional top 10. The rankings are based on games played through Sunday.
The regional poll will be released weekly on Wednesdays through March 3.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series