Things to look for in conference tourneys
By David Williams
Published in Sports on February 15, 2004 2:00 AM
Things to look for in the tournaments
* Goldsboro's boys must win the Eastern Carolina 1-A Conferencre tournament to have any chance of going to the state playoffs.
* Rosewood and North Johnston's girls will be battling for the better seed in the state playoffs -- the team that goes further in the tournament will get the Carolina 1-A Conference's No. 2 seed.
* North Lenoir and SouthWest Edgecombe's girls will also battle for the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference's No. 1 seeding in the state playoffs. North Lenoir and North Pitt will be dueling for the top-seed in the boys state playoffs.
* North Lenoir's girls and boys have have first-round tournament byes.
* Goldsboro's girls are the only team that cannot lose playoff position through conference tournament upset. The Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season champions will have a bye when first-round playoff games begin on Feb. 23 and will host either West Craven or the Mideastern 4-A/3-A Conference's 3-A runner up on Feb. 25.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series