Mount Olive Ranked No. 6 in region
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 19, 2004 1:55 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive College is ranked No. 6 in this week's NCAA Division II Men's Basketball East Region Poll, it was announced Wednesday. Mount Olive slipped three places from last week's No. 3 ranking after posting a 1-2 record during the week, which included a 108-105 victory over regionally top-ranked Pfeiffer.
Mount Olive is 17-6 overall and 11-5 in the Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference. The Trojans suffered an 84-77 loss Tuesday at Queens, which fell out of the regional top 10. Mount Olive is one of three CVAC teams ranked in the East Region top 10. Pfeiffer holds at No. 1, while Belmont Abbey re-enters the poll at No. 10. The East Region is comprised of teams in the CVAC, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) and the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WVIAC).
The rankings are based on games played through Sunday. The regional poll will be released weekly on Wednesdays through March 3.
Mount Olive returns to action Saturday as the Trojans play host to Lees-McRae in a CVAC match-up. Tip-off is 7 p.m. College Hall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series