Rebels' Braswell throws complete-game shutout of 'Cats
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 11, 2004 1:59 PM
HOBBTON -- North Duplin's Matt Braswell struck out five consecutive Hobbton batters in the first two innings and finished with 10 strikeouts in seven innings as the Rebels claimed a 1-0 win in an old-fashioned pitcher's duel.
The Wildcats' Jason Warren finished with 11 strikeouts, yielding just three hits and also going the distance.
The Rebels evened their record at 2-2 heading into Friday's home game against Union.
North Duplin scratched for its only run in the top of the seventh as Braswell walked with two outs, stole second, then stole third. When the trow saild into leftfield, Braswell easily scored the games only run.
"Stealing third is all about timing, confidence and feel. He wasn't being held very well out there, and he gets great jumps," North Duplin coach Rob Futch said. "I knew it was coming, but it still surprised me how quick he was on me."
North Duplin 000 000 1 -- 1 3 2
Hobbton 000 000 0 -- 0 4 2
Leading hitters -- Hobbton -- Will Herring 2-4; D.J. Jackson 1-2; Casey Brown 1-2. North Duplin -- Travis Dubois 1-4; Brad Lloyd 1-4; Matt Braswell 0-2, run, 2 SB.
IP R ER H BB SO
Matt Braswell (W, 1-0) 7 0 0 4 3 10
Jason Warren (L) 7 1 0 3 5 11
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series