Trojan golf places ninth
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 11, 2004 2:00 PM
WILSON -- Mount Olive College finished ninth overall in the Lee Nissan Barton Intercollegiate Golf Tournament contested Monday and Tuesday at Wilson Country Club.
The Trojans shot a 330-324--654 during the two-day event on the par 72, 6,768-yard layout.
Eric Royster tied for 39th overall and led Mount Olive with a two-round total of 163. Teammates Greg McDermott (164), Michael Bradshaw (165) and Chris Bitzenhofer (167) contributed to the team score.
Host Barton College claimed a five-shot victory against runner-up South Carolina-Aiken -- 610-615. Pfeiffer University (617) took third, followed by Guilford College (619) and North Greenville (S.C.) College with 622.
N.C. State's Banks Wood, a junior varsity player, captured medalist honors by firing a tournament-record 68 on Tuesday. He finished with a two-day total of 1-under 143 -- four shots ahead of teammate John Carter (147) and Pfeiffer University's Will Cannon, who tied Carter for second place.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series