Correction -- again
By David Williams
Published in Sports on March 14, 2004 2:00 AM
Our statement in Wednesday's News-Argus that former Goldsboro High basketball player Victor Young was the first local player since 1994 to play at any level of NCAA basketball tournament has raised quite a few former tournament veterans.
We already mentioned players and coaching staff from St. Augustine's College having been at the tournament since 1994. ToTrone Chasten, the former standout at Eastern Wayne, made two trips to the Division II tournament as a member of Johnson C. Smith's team in 2002 and 2003. His uncle Carl Chasten played for Fayetteville State and made the Division II tournament between 1991 and 1995.
Also, Doug Mitchell was on Campbell's 1991 Division I NCAA tournament team that took on Duke in the first round, which prompted the line from then-Camel coach Billy Lee that "It's Duke's trees against Lee's fleas."
Lee, a Mount Olive mative, is also in this class.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series