Soccer -- North Johnston slams door on Cougars
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 14, 2004 2:02 AM
WILSON -- It's early in the season, but one thing is apparent for North Johnston's girls soccer team -- they enjoy playing SouthWest Edgecombe.
The Panthers had only 12 players, but that did not hinder them in a 5-0 win over the Cougars in the seventh-place game at the Wilson Daily Times Tournament Friday. It was the second win of the season for North Johnston over SouthWest. North Johnston has scored 11 goals in the two games.
Martha Godwin and Jenna Gudac scored quick goals for a 2-0 edge which held up through halftime. Goals by Kristy Hankins, Godwin and Heather Creech added the second-half goals for North Johnston (2-3).
North Johnston outshot SouthWest by a 27-1 mark. Cougar goalkeeper Tracy Waters saved 13 shots.
The Panthers will take on Smithfield-Selma on Monday in the opening round of the Johnston County Soccer Tournament.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series