Softball -- NJ's Evans throws one-hitter vs. Bunn
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 14, 2004 2:04 AM
KENLY -- Candace Evans notched eight strikeouts and fired a one-hitter as North Johnston nipped Bunn 3-0 in non-conference action Thursday afternoon.
Evans, a sophomore right-hander, surrendered the lone hit in the fifth. Teammates Amanda Pope and Emily Levick each made stellar defensive plays to keep the Wildcats off the bases in the fourth and seventh innings.
The teams battled to a scoreless tie through 31Ú2 innings.
In the North Johnston fourth, Hannah Ellis and Evans each reached base with a single. Ashley Woodall, who has signed with Pitt Community College, walked to load the diamond for Emily Levick.
Levick grounded out to plate Ellis. Janna Rogerson singled home Evans and Woodall scored on Michelle Fisher's base hit.
The Panthers (4-1) play host to Hobbton this afternoon and travel to Wilson Beddingfield next Tuesday.
Bunn 000 000 0 -- 0 1 1
N. Johnston 000 300 0 -- 3 5 1
Leading hitters -- North Johnston -- Candace Evans 2-2.
IP H R ER BB SO
Davis (L) 6 5 3 3 2 2
North Johnston (4-1)
Evans 7 1 0 0 0 8
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series