Soccer -- NJ falls to Clayton
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 17, 2004 1:58 PM
SMITHFIELD -- North Johnston goalie Allison Hinnant had 11 saves as the Lady Panthers were defeated by Clayton 2-0 in the semifinals of the Smithfield News Herald Cup on Tuesday at Smithfield-Selma High School.
North Johnston will face West Johnston today at the Spartans' field at 5 p.m. in the consolation finals. Smithfield-Selma opposses Clayton in the championship game at 7 p.m. at the same site.
Clayton (4-0), who has not allowed a goal this season, outshot North Johnston 16-2 on the game and 14-1 in the first half. It was the Comets' closest win on the young season.
Panthers' coach Brent Walston praised Hinnant and the rest of the defense for keeping the score close at 1-0 going into halftime.
"Our defense held strong to only give up one goal," he said. "It could have easily been three-or-four to zero at halftime."
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series