MOC tennis to host Queens
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 19, 2004 1:55 PM
The Mount Olive men's and women's tennis teams both put their two-match winning streaks on the line this weekend with a pair of Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference matches at Walker Tennis Center on the campus of Mount Olive College.
Today, Mount Olive plays host to Queens, with the women's match starting at 3 p.m., followed by the men's match at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Mount Olive plays host to Belmont Abbey as both teams get underway at 2 p.m.
In men's tennis, Mount Olive (6-4 overall, 3-3 CVAC) is coming off a pair of 9-0 victories last weekend over Limestone and Coker. Mount Olive is ranked No. 40 in the nation in the most recent Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings. No. 5 singles player Renato Varella became the Trojans' first player to reach the eight-win mark this season.
In women's tennis, Mount Olive (3-6 overall, 3-3 CVAC) defeated Limestone 8-0 and Coker 9-0 last weekend. No. 1 singles and doubles player Lucia Henkle was named CVAC Women's Tennis Player of the Week.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series