Mount Olive Baseball -- Belmont Abbey comes to town
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 19, 2004 1:55 PM
After splitting a pair of games this week against the eighth-ranked team in the nation, Mount Olive returns to conference action this weekend as the 30th-ranked Trojans play host to Belmont Abbey in a three-game series at Scarborough Field. The two teams play a doubleheader Saturday beginning at 4 p.m., then conclude the series with a single game Sunday at 1 p.m.
Mount Olive (23-8 overall, 8-4 CVAC) is coming off a two-game split against North Florida, ranked No. 8 in this week's Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Division II Poll. The Trojans outslugged North Florida 10-8 Tuesday, then fell to North Florida 9-2 Wednesday. Mount Olive has won 14 of its last 18 games and is 13-2 at home this season. Wednesday's loss snapped a 12-game home winning streak.
The Trojans have won each of their last three conference series and are 7-2 in their last nine CVAC games. Craig Hurba and Steve Parrish lead Mount Olive offensively with 12 home runs apiece. Hurba ranks in the top three in the CVAC in all three triple crown categories.
Belmont Abbey (6-26, 1-8) fell 12-11 in 12 innings at Lenoir-Rhyne Tuesday was scheduled to play a non-conference game at Carson-Newman Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series