Tennis -- Warriors edge rivals
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 19, 2004 1:56 PM
DUDLEY -- Eastern Wayne turned in three singles wins and two in doubles play as the Warriors edged county-rival Southern Wayne 5-4 in tennis action on Thursday at the Saints' courts.
The Warriors (2-4, 2-2 Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference) got singles wins from Ben Ziccardi, Andrew Smith and John King. The combinations of James Arceneaux and Ziccardi and Smith and Chris Musser claimed doubles wins.
Southern Wayne's Jerome Frederick, Michael Moore and Mike Albertson won in singles.
The Saints got their lone doubles' win from Frederick and Moore.
Eastern Wayne takes on Wayne Country Day on Monday, while Southern Wayne hosts West Craven on Wednesday.
Eastern Wayne 5, Southern Wayne 4
Singles -- No. 1 Jerome Frederick (SW) d. Alex Bryant 6-0, 6-1; No. 2 Michael Moore (SW) d. James Arceneaux 6-3, 3-6 (7-3); No. 3 Ben Ziccardi (EW) d. Matt McLamb 6-2, 6-0. No. 4 Andrew Smith (EW) d. Allan Pangburn 6-3, 7-5; No. 5 John King (EW) d. Justin Sutton 6-1, 6-3; No. 6 Mike Albertson (SW) d. Chris Musser 6-0, 6-2. Doubles -- No. 1 Frederick-Moore (SW) d. Bryant-King 8-2; No. 2 Arceneaux-Ziccardi (EW) d. McLamb-Pangburn 8-3; No. 3 Smith-Musser (EW) d. Sterling Pangburn-Sutton.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series