Softball -- Chargers need extra inning to beat Eagles
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 21, 2004 8:28 AM
LITTLEFIELD -- Jessica McLawhorn knocked the ball away from the Rosewood catcher in the bottom of the eighth inning as Ayden-Grifton escaped with a 3-2 win in Class 1-A Carolina Conference play.
Tied at 2-2, McLawhorn connected on a two-out single and stole second. Jayme Beacham, the winning pitcher, laced a single and McLawhorn headed for home on the play. She slid into the plate and jarred the ball loose from the Rosewood catcher's glove.
The Eagles (2-5, 0-1 CC) trailed early, but forged ahead 2-1 in the fourth.
Bliss Parrish and Chandra Meadows each pitched for Rosewood. Parrish surrendered two hits and a walk in four innings, while Meadows yielded a hit and walk in the final four innings.
Rosewood travels to Spring Creek on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series