Softball -- North Lenoir tops Havleock in 11 innings
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 21, 2004 8:28 AM
HAVELOCK -- Morgan Worthington tallied the game-winning run on a passed ball as unbeaten North Lenoir claimed a 2-0, 11-inning thriller against Havelock on Friday afternoon.
Rachel Cromer led off the Hawks' 11th with a triple, but got thrown out on Worthington's fielder's choice ground ball to the pitcher. Hermia Humphrey moved Worthington to third with a base hit, and both runners advanced a base on a passed ball. Worthington scored to make it 1-0.
Mary Catherine Mills doubled home Humphrey for the 2-0 finale.
Humphrey finished with a no-hitter, striking out 17 and allowing one walk. It was her third win on the mound this season.
"The entire team did an excellent job backing up Hermia on defense," North Lenoir coach Heather Humphrey said. "They played really well together."
Chanee Lynch emerged the Hawks' offensive leader with three hits in five at-bats. Leslie Oliver provided a hit along with Cromer, Mills, Hermia Humphrey and Worthington.
Hawks catcher Ashley Griffin led the defense with 17 putouts.
North Lenoir (7-0) entertains Richlands at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Two days later, the Hawks travel to Charles B. Aycock for a 7 p.m. showdown.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series