Soccer -- EW blanked by Patriots
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 25, 2004 1:59 PM
MOREHEAD CITY -- Eastern Wayne goalkeeper Ashley Lish finished with 19 saves as the Warriors fell 2-0 at West Carteret on Wednesday.
The Patriots (3-4 overall) improved to 3-0 in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference, while Eastern Wayne (2-4 overall) fell to 2-2.
The Patriots outshot the Warriors 27-10 on the game as Jordan Harris scored twice -- once in each half.
At the 18-minute mark of the first half, Harris finished a shot inside the box after a short clear by the Eastern Wayne defense. Harris capitalized on another defensive miscue at the 45-minute mark of the second half, intercepting and scoring after a slow backpass to the Eastern Wayne goalie.
"Despite the score, I am pleased with our performance tonight. We gave up two soft goals that have to be chalked up to inexperience," Warrior coach Jorg Wagner said. "Although they had the clear advantage in possession and shots, I never really felt that we were out of the game."
Wagner applauded the defensive effort of Sarah Bacon and believes the team still needs to work on their transition game in the midfield as they prepare for a March 31 ECC match at West Craven.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series