Tennis -- Firebirds sweep Aycock
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 25, 2004 1:57 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Southern Nash's Kyle Glasgow started the Firebirds with a win at number one singles as Southern Nash pulled away with a 9-0 win at Charles B. Aycock on Wednesday.
The closest match of the day proved to be number two singles as Aycock's Brandon Howard battled the Firebirds' Sam Flores before falling 7-6 (7-2), 6-4.
Danny Fairchild of Charles B. Aycock warms up before his match against Southern Nash on Wednesday. Fairchild lost his match and his Falcon teammates were swept by the Firebirds 9-0. Story is on page 5B
The win boosted Southern Nash to 8-2.
Aycock (4-2) looks to rebound on Thursday at home against Washington at 4 p.m.
Southern Nash 9, C.B. Aycock 0
Singles -- No. 1 Kyle Glasgow (SN) d. Danny Fairchild 6-1, 6-3; No. 2 Sam Flores (SN) d. Brandon Howard 7-6 (7-2), 6-4; No. 3 Matthew Gardner (SN) d. Sean Kelly 6-0, 6-0; No. 4 Daniel Bryant (SN) d. David Dodson 6-4, 6-0; No. 5 Ben Fite (SN) d. David Williams 6-2, 6-0; No. 6 Daniel Berry (SN) d. John Ball 6-0, 6-3.
Doubles -- No. 1 Glasgow-Flores (SN) d. Fairchild-Howard 8-4; No. 2 Gardner-Bryant (SN) d. Kelly-Dodson 8-4; No. 3 Fite-Chris Brandt (SN) d. Williams-Ball 8-2.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series