Baseball -- Eagles dominate Carolina Christian foe
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 26, 2004 1:58 PM
Billy Smith doubled and provided three hits as Wayne Christian dismantled Cresset Christian of Durham 20-7 in a non-conference contest Thursday afternoon.
J.D. Hightower belted a 340-foot home run in the fifth and finished the day with two hits in three plate appearances. Kyle Pender batted 2-for-4, and Tyler Brannan doubled for the Eagles.
Wayne Christian broke the game open with an 11-run, sixth-inning outburst. Officials halted the contest in the sixth because of the 10-run mercy rule.
Tyler Thomas, Jordan Yelverton and Smith combined for 13 strikeouts and no walks on the mound. Thomas started and worked three innings. Yelverton pitched the fourth and fifth, and earned the victory.
Smith provided one inning of three-strikeout relief.
Wayne Christian (5-1) entertains Cape Fear Academy next Monday at 4 p.m.
Cresset Christian 122 101 -- 7 8 3
Wayne Christian 301 14(11) -- 20 10 3
Leading hitters -- Wayne Christian -- Billy Smith 3-4, 2B; J.D. Hightower 2-3, HR; Kyle Pender 2-4; Tyler Brannan 2B. Cresset Christian -- George Gremon 2-4; John Simpson 2-3; Bob Bicket 2B.
IP H R ER BB SO
O'Brient (L) 5 4 9 5 7 6
Gremon 1 6 11 6 6 1
Thomas 3 5 5 3 0 7
Yelverton (W) 2 3 1 1 0 3
Smith 1 0 1 0 0 3
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series