Baseball -- Goldsboro's Edwards pitches no-hitter
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 26, 2004 1:57 PM
Monquavious Edwards threw the first no-hitter of his prep career Thursday afternoon, staking Goldsboro High to an 11-1, non-conference victory against Community Christian of Wilson.
Edwards recorded nine strikeouts and walked six batters in the contest, which was shortened to six innings because of the 10-run mercy rule.
It was the Cougars' first win in eight outings.
Freshman catcher Cedric McClary homered and finished the day 3-for-4. Dante Love doubled in a 3-for-4 effort, while Eugene Norman batted 3-for-3.
Curtis Mozingo added two hits.
Goldsboro pounded out a season-best 15 hits and committed a season-low two errors on defense.
The Cougars, who start six freshmen, travel to Eastern Wayne today for a Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference game.
Comm. Christian 100 000 -- 1 0 0
Goldsboro 203 204 -- 11 15 2
Leading hitters -- Goldsboro -- Cedric McClary 3-4, HR; Dante Love 3-4, 2B; Eugene Norman 3-3; Curtis Mozingo 2-3; Eric McLean 1-4; Clemente Battle 1-4; Monquavius Edwards 1-3; Demond Johnson 1-4.
IP H R ER BB SO
Edwards (W) 6 0 1 0 6 9
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series