Cougar trio brings home individual wins
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on March 28, 2004 2:01 AM
VANCEBORO -- Three Goldsboro competitors each claimed a first-place finish and the Cougars won the meet-ending 1,600 relay Thursday afternoon, but West Craven prevailed 52-50 in the three-team Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference meet.
Washington finished third with 41 points.
Ashelyn James emerged the shot put winner with a distance of 31 feet, six inches.
April Reid ran the 100 dash in 13 seconds, ended up second in the discus (61-0) and ran the anchor leg on the winning 1,600-meter relay. Joining Reid on the relay team were Lavenia Lipford, Danielle Jones and Jakeila Robinson.
Erin Coleman claimed the 800-meter run.
"(The girls) are gradually improving each track meet," Goldsboro coach Gladys McClary said. "They are getting faster and stronger, and they are having a lot of fun.
"I was very pleased with their performance."
Goldsboro travels to Charles B. Aycock next Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series