Lawrence, Campbell lead Warrior boys
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on March 28, 2004 2:00 AM
WINTERVILLE -- Michael Lawrence and Chris Campbell each won three individual events as Eastern Wayne cruised past South Central and Southern Wayne in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference boys meet Thursday afternoon.
The Warriors, coached by Sidney Myers, collected 86 points. The host Falcons and Saints each scored 42.
Lawrence emerged the top runner in the 800, 1,600 and 3,200 runs.
Campbell captured two field events -- high jump (5-6) and triple jump (37-9), and ran the 110 hurdles with a winning time of 16.36 seconds.
Eastern Wayne also won the 400 relay.
Shelley Baker and Jamie Vogt each racked up individual victories as the Warrior girls amassed 96 points in the their tri-meet. Baker, as usual, dominated the 300 hurdles (53.61) and 100 hurdles (16.9). Vogt, one of eastern North Carolina's best long-distance runners, claimed the 800 and 1,600 runs.
Vogt ran one leg on the winning 3,200 relay.
The Warriors won the 800 and 1,600 relays, also.
South Central finished second with 58 points, followed by Southern Wayne with 49.
Eastern Wayne travels to Jacksonville next Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series