Softball -- Chargers beat Gators in late innings
Published in Sports on March 31, 2004 1:58 PM
LITTLEFIELD -- Kelley Dunn swatted an inside-the-park home run and Ayden-Grifton added six runs in the bottom of the sixth in a 7-1 win against Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Spring Creek.
The Chargers, the reigning Carolina champions, remained tied atop the league standings with North Johnston at 4-0. Those teams meet Friday in Kenly.
Ayden-Grifton (8-1) took advantage of Spring Creek's fielding misfortunes in the fifth.
Three consecutive errors allowed Stephanie Bowen, Lindsey Lassiter and Dunn all to reach base with Bowen scoring in the sequence. Jessica McLawhorn dropped in a single before Jayme Beacham dropped down a bunt that pushed home another run.
Mindy Tripp reached base on the Gators' fourth error of the inning. India Robinson followed with a RBI single. Tiffany Bowen capped the rally with a bases-clearing triple.
Robinson also was the winning pitcher, allowing only an unearned run in the sixth.
Troia Morgan led the Gators with two hits.
Spring Creek (1-13) fell to 1-4 in the conference.
The Daily Reflector
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series