Tennis -- Gators drop Rosewood
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 31, 2004 1:55 PM
Spring Creek's Cliff Wilson avenged a loss last week to Rosewood's Wesley Lovelady at number one singles as the Gators' emerged with a 7-1 win on the Eagles' courts on Tuesday.
The win boosted Spring Creek (8-1 overall) to 7-1 in the Classes 2-A Eastern Plains/1-A Carolina Conference play. Rosewood is currently 5-4 ovearll and in the conference.
Grey Wilson, Ricky Galloway, Will Daniel and Justin Smith picked up wins in singles play for Spring Creek, while Joey Churchwell provided the lone win for Rosewood at number five.
The combinations of Cliff and Grey Wilson and Galloway and Daniel won their doubles matches. Number three doubles was not contested.
Both teams return to action on Thursday, as Rosewood hosts Ayden-Grifton and Spring Creek travels to North Pitt.
Spring Creek 7, Rosewood 1
Singles -- No. 1 Cliff Wilson (SC) d. Wesley Lovelady 6-3, 6-2; No. 2 Grey Wilson (SC) d. Matt Mitchell 6-3, 6-1; No. 3 Ricky Galloway (SC) d. Brandon Hietpas 6-0, 6-2; No. 4 Will Daniel (SC) d. Ty Johnston 6-2, 6-0; No. 5 Joey Churchwell (RHS) d. Daniel Watson 6-3, 6-3; No. 6 Justin Smith (SC) d. J.P. Cummings 6-3, 6-1.
Doubles -- No. 1 C. Wilson-G. Wilson (SC) d. Lovelady-Mitchell 8-4; No. 2 Galloway-Daniel d. Hietpas-Johnson 8-3.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series