Tennis -- Eagles knock off A-G
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 2, 2004 1:57 PM
Rosewood swept the two contested doubles matches and knocked off Ayden-Grifton 6-2 in a Classes 1-A/2-A Carolina/Eastern Plains Conference match Thursday afternoon.
The No. 1 tandem of Wesley Lovelady-Matt Mitchell easily defeated the Chargers' Kyle Beach-Sam Sutton 8-2. The No. 2 doubles of Brandon Hietpas-Ty Johnson recorded the same score against Brandon Jordan-Marty Edwards.
Rosewood led 4-2 after singles play.
The Eagles (6-4, 5-4) entertain North Lenoir next Monday afternoon, the Chargers (2-7) travel to North Pitt.
Rosewood 6, Ayden-Grifton 2
Singles -- No. 1 Wesley Lovelady (R) d. Brandon Jordan 6-2, 6-4; No. 2 Matt Mitchell (R) d. Kyle Beach 6-1, 6-1; No. 3 Sam Sutton (AG) d. Brandon Hietpas 4-6, 6-4, 6-2; No. 4 Joey Churchwell (R) d. Eric Dendy 6-2, 6-4; No. 5 Ty Johnson (R) d. Marty Edwards 6-1, 6-1; No. 6 Jamaris Hardee (AG) d. J.P. Cummins 6-4, 7-5, 7-4.
Doubles -- No. 1 Lovelady-Mitchell (R) d. Beach-Sutton 8-2; No. 2 Hietpas-Johnson (R) d. Jordan-Edwards 8-2.
No. 3 doubles not contested.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series