Baseball -- WCDS drops Terra Ceia
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 6, 2004 1:57 PM
PANTEGO -- Wayne Country Day posted a season-high in hits (15) and runs (16) at non-conference opponent Terra Ceia as the Chargers claimed a 16-4 win on the road.
The game was called after five innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.
Wayne Country Day (2-5) went 15-29 at the plate on the game as Shivar Person, Ryan Ford, Travis Davis and Spenser Briggs had two hits each. Ford had three RBI, while Person knocked in two.
In his first outing, freshman Sam Steed picked up the win -- striking out five and allowing four runs in five innings.
"Yesterday was a big confidence booster for us. We play in a tough conference and it's a good to get a non-conference win," Chargers' coach Michael Taylor said. "The guys are hitting the ball well, but we've got young pitching and a young team overall. Later in the year, we will be alright."
Wayne Country Day takes on state-ranked Rocky Mount Academy today at the ECAP at 7 p.m.
WCDS 310 85x x -- 16 15 0
Tera Ceia 013 00x x -- 4 6 2
Leading hitters -- WCDS -- Shivar Person 2-2, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI; Ryan Ford 2-3, 3 RBI; Travis Davis 2-4, RBI; Spenser Briggs 2-3.
IP H R ER BB SO
Sam Steed (W, 1-0) 4 6 4 4 2 5
Travis Davis 1 0 0 0 1 1
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series