Sofball -- NJ's Evans flirts with perfect game
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 7, 2004 1:59 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Candace Evans flirted with a perfect game as state-ranked North Johnston blanked Spring Creek 10-0 in Carolina 1-A Conference play Tuesday.
Evans yielded one hit and struck out eight in a complete-game performance. The Gators foiled her perfect-game bid with a lead-off single in the fifth.
Officials called the contest after five innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.
The Panthers, ranked No. 6 in the latest ihigh.com coaches/media poll, tallied three runs in the third inning. Hannah Ellis plated two runs on a base hit and Evans scored Ellis with a base hit.
Ellis, Janna Rogerson and Emily Levick each batted 2-for-3 for North Johnston.
Lorenda Brogden suffered the pitching loss for Spring Creek, which fell to 1-5 in the Carolina Conference.
North Johnston (13-1) is 6-0 in the Carolina Conference.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series