Soccer -- EW displays balance on road
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 8, 2004 1:58 PM
WINTERVILLE -- Five Eastern Wayne players scored goals as the Warriors marched past South Central 7-0 in Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference play on Wednesday.
Eastern Wayne (4-5, 4-3 ECC) took a 3-0 lead into halftime, then exploded for four goals in a four-minute span early in the second half to quickly pull away.
Samantha Frazer scored twice, while Casey Edwards and Grace Northington tallied one goal each during the four-minute run in the second half. All four goals were on one-on-one, breakaway opportunities.
"We had some trouble finding rhythm early on, but coming out after halftime, we exploded for four minutes and that sealed the game for us," Eastern Wayne coach Jorg Wagner said. "After that, we were able to give some substitutes some good looks."
Natalie Taylor scored twice and dished out one assist in the first half, and Melissa Stansell added one goal.
Wagner praised Katy Biehl for a solid defensive effort.
Eastern Wayne, who hosts Kinston on April 19, outshot the Falcons 35-1 on the game.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series