Soccer -- NJ blanks third-straight opponent
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 8, 2004 1:59 PM
KENLY -- North Johnston outshot SouthWest Edgecombe 31-0 on its way to a 4-0 win at home over the Cougars in Classes 2-A Eastern Plains/Classes 1-A Carolina/Super-Six play.
Jenna Gudac scored twice in the first half, while Martha Godwin scored in the 16th minute as the Panthers jumped out to an early 3-0 lead.
"Having a 3-0 early lead gave us an opportunity to play some girls in some different positions," North Johnston coach Brent Walston said.
In the second half, Brittany Lane finished the scoring with her first goal of the season in the 58th minute.
With the win, North Johnston (7-7 overall) improved to 4-3 in conference play. SouthWest Edgecombe (0-10-1 overall) dropped to 0-7 in the conference.
The Panthers face James Kenan at home on April 19.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series