Softball -- GC falls in EPC contest
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 8, 2004 2:00 PM
PINETOPS -- Elizabeth Cooper and Cassie Webb combined for three-quarters of Greene Central's offensive output, but it wasn't enough in a 6-2 loss at SouthWest Edgecombe on Wednesday afternoon.
Cooper finished the day 2-for-3, while Webb added a hit and an RBI in three plate appearances. The Rams had four hits overall in the regulation seven-inning contest.
Brittany Leggett suffered the pitching loss, giving up six runs on five hits and four walks in five innings.
Tammy Jo Lynn led the Cougars with two hits in three at-bats.
Left-handed pitcher Stephanie Payne limited the Rams to four hits and recorded 15 strikeouts in a complete-game effort.
Greene Central (2-8, 0-3) returns to action April 16 in an Easter tournament at the Sara Law Complex. The Rams oppose Farmville Central at 6 p.m.
SouthWest Edgecombe improved to 10-1 overall and 2-1 in the conference. The Cougars begin play Saturday in the annual Ladybird Classic at Southern Nash.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series