Softball -- Rebels get first win
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 8, 2004 2:00 PM
CALYPSO -- North Duplin's Stephanie Ivey scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth-inning as the Rebels won their first game of the year 6-5 against non-conference opponent Hobbton on Wednesday at home.
Casey Pate picked up the win in relief for North Duplin, pitching the final five innings and yielding three runs on five hits. Brittany Carr gave up just one hit and two runs in the first four innings.
Maryln Ball had one hit and an RBI for the Rebels, while April Tillman added one hit.
"I am extremly proud of the entire team for never quitting and being behind the team," North Duplin coach Heather Best said.
The Rebels committed four costly errors, but got a solid defensive play from Emily Deiberts, who made a key diving catch in the seventh.
North Duplin returns to action on Friday at home against Holly Ridge Dixon.
Hobbton 200 001 110 -- 5
N. Duplin 100 003 011 -- 6
Leading hitters -- North Duplin -- Marlyn Ball 1-4; April Tillman 1-4.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series