Tennis -- Eagles drop Tarboro on road
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 8, 2004 1:56 PM
TARBORO -- Rosewood picked up two key doubles wins and knocked off Tarboro 6-3 in Classes 1-A/2-A Carolina/Eastern Plains Conference action Tuesday afternoon.
The No. 1 tandem of Wesley Lovelady-Matt Mitchell easily defeated Jonathan Pearce-Chris Taylor 8-2. Teammates Ty Johnson and J.P. Cummins, the No. 3 seed, recorded the same score against Ettore Merindino-Peter Heffley.
Rosewood led 4-2 after singles.
Lovelady, Mitchell, Cummins and Joey Churchwell each collected a straight-set win.
The Eagles (7-5, 6-5 C/EPC) entertain SouthWest Edgecombe at 4 p.m. Thursday.
Rosewood 6, Tarboro 3
Singles -- No. 1 Wesley Lovelady (R) d. Johnathan Pearce 6-0, 6-0; No. 2 Matt Mitchell (R) d. Chris Taylor 6-3, 6-1; No. 3 Brian Mattern (T) d. Brandon Hietpas 2-6, 6-4, 6-1; No. 4 Blake Brittain (T) d. Ty Johnson 6-1, 7-6 (5); No. 5 Joey Churchwell (R) d. Chase Enzor 6-1, 6-3; No. 6 J.P. Cummins (T) d. Ettore Merindino 7-5, 6-4.
Doubles -- No. 1 Lovelady-Mitchell (R) d. Pearce-Taylor 8-2; No. 2 Mattern-Brittain (T) d. Hietpas-Churchwell 8-3; No. 3 Johnson-Cummins (R) d. Merindino-Peter Heffley 8-2.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series